Lala Lajpath Rai along with Madan Mohan Malavya founded the Nationalist Party
- Became governor of Bengal in 1772 and Governor-General in 1773 through the Regulating Act
- Abolished Dual system of administration.
- Wrote introduction to the first English translation of the Gita by Charles Wilkins
- Founded the Asiatic Society of Bengal with William Jones in 1784.
- Auctioned the right to collect land revenue to the highest bidder
- Divided Bengal into districts and appointed collectors and other revenue officials.
- Started Diwani and faujdari adalats at the district level and Sadar diwani and Nizmat adalats (appellate courts) at Calcutta.
- Redefined Hindu and Muslim laws. A translation of the code in Sanskrit appeared in 1776 under the title of ‘Code of Gentoo laws’
- Rohilla war: 1774
- 1st Anglo Maratha War (1776-82)
- 2nd Anglo Mysore War (1780-84)