Lala Lajpath Rai along with Madan Mohan Malavya founded the Nationalist Party
- The chief was the protector of the tribe or jana
- However, he did not possess unlimited powers as he had to reckon with the tribal assemblies.
- Sabha, Samiti, Vidhata and Gana were the tribal assemblies. Of these, Vidhata was the oldest. These assemblies exercised deliberative, military and religious functions.
- The two most important assemblies were Sabha and Samiti. Samiti was general in nature and less exclusive than Sabha.
- There were a few non-monarchical states (ganas), whose head was Ganapati or Jyestha.