Article 54: The President of India is elected by an Electoral College and...
- The viceroy of reverse character
- Most unpopular Governor-General
- Pursued free trade and abolished duties on 29 British manufactured goods which accelerated drain of India.
- Arranged the Grand Darbar in 1877 at Delhi when the country was suffering from a severe famine.
- Passed the Royal Title Act (1876) and Queen Victoria was declared as the Kaiser-a-Hind.
- Arms Act-1878 made it mandatory for Indians to acquire license for arms.
- Passed the infamous Vernacular Press Act 1878.
- Proposed the plan of Statutory Civil Service in 1878-79 and lowered the maximum age limit from 21 to 19 years.
- The second Afghan war which proved a failure.