Lala Lajpath Rai along with Madan Mohan Malavya founded the Nationalist Party
- In the backdrop of the failure of Cripps Mission, imminent Japanese threat, the British attitude towards Indians who were left behind in Burma and prevailing anger and hostility to an alien and meaningless war, Quit India resolution was passed on 8 August 1942 at Gowalia Tank, Bombay.
- Gandhi told the British to quit and ‘leave India in God’s hand’. His message was ‘Do or Die’.
- In the initial stages, the Movement was based on non-violent lines.
- Repressive policy of the government and indiscriminate arrests of the leaders provoked people to violence.
- Nehru was loadged in Almora jail, Maulana Azad in Bankura and Gandhi in Agha Khan’s palace, poona.
- Further, it was the only all-India movement, which was leader less. In many areas, the government lost all control and the people established Swaraj.