Lala Lajpath Rai along with Madan Mohan Malavya founded the Nationalist Party
- First war (1775-82) Favouring the cause of Raghunath Rao for Peshwaship, English (Hastings) came in conflict with the Marathas. On being defeated, the British had to sign the humiliating Convention of Wadgaon.
- British later signed Treaty of Salbai, renouncing the cause of Raghoba.
- Second war (1803-06). The Marathas Peshwa signed the Subsidiary Alliance Treaty of Bassein (1802).
- The Maratha confederacy, which did not like the idea challenged the British power but were defeated by the British.
- Third War (1817-1888). Lord Hastings’ was determined to proclaim British paramountcy in India. Hastings moves against Pindaris transgressed the sovereignty of the Maratha chief and the war began.
- The Maratha’s were decisively defeated.