The Government of India launched a comprehensive scheme for the persons of Indian Origin, called the PIP card scheme. Under this scheme, persons of Indian origin up to the fourth generation, settled throughout the world, are eligible to have this card.
- The scheme came into effect on September 17, 2007.
- The card holders can visit India without any visa for life long.
- The card is to be valid for 15 years.
- The persons of Indian origin from Pakistan and Bangladesh are not entitled to it.
- Fee for PIO card is US$365 for adults and US$185 for children below 18 years of age.
- PIO card holders will have similar benefits as NRIs in economic, financial and educational matters. But they are not allowed to have political rights.