A virtual SEZ is one where export oriented units (EOUs) can avail of benefits...
Development of Education
4 STUDENTS ENROLLED
- Warren Hastings set up the Calcutta Madrasa in 1781 for the study of Arabic and Persian.
- The Asiatic Society of Bengal was founded by Sir William Jones in Calcutta in 1784.
- Jonathan Cuncan, the resident at Benares started the Sanskrit College in 1791.
- Lord Welleslley started the Fort William College in 1800 for the training of Civil Servants, which the court of Directors closed in 1802.
- The Charter Act of 1813, was the first to provide an annual expenditure of one lakh rupees ‘for the revival and promotion of literature.’
- David Hare and Raja Rammohan Roy were instrumental in setting up the Calcutta Hindu College in 1817. Which later developed into the Presidency College.
- Lord William Bentick, in the Resolution of 7 March 1835, accepted Macualays viewpoint which led to the promotion of European science and literature.